- Lopez Island Education Foundation (LIEF) committee (2013-
- Serve on Tech Committee, Lopez School, 2015-
- Volunteer in Lopez math classes, 2011-
- Consultant for agencies such as the World Bank, US Department of Energy, and GIZ (Tanzania, Myanmar, Vanuatu, Laos, Cambodia, India), 2007-
- Co-founded energy NGOs in Thailand working in refugee camps and conflict areas along Thai/Burma border, and on sustainable energy policy research, analysis and advocacy, 2003-8
- Installed wind turbines in North Korea, 1999-2001
- M.S. and Ph.D., Energy and Resources from U.C. Berkeley, 1995-2004
- Installed solar electric systems on Lopez, 1993-5
- Intern, Lopez Community Land Trust, Coho project 1994
- Home Power Magazine staff writer, 1992-5
- Appropriate technology volunteer, Ladakh India, 1991
- Reed college, BA in Physics
- Graduated Lopez School, 1987
- Moved to Lopez Island to start 3rd grade, 1978
I grew up on Lopez, attending Lopez School from 3rd grade through graduation. My two children are enrolled as Lopez middle/high students. I see the school as the heart of our community. And I see strong education and critical thinking skills as more essential than ever in today’s complex world.
Lopez school has come a long way from when I was a student there in the 1970s and 80s and I value the hard work of our teachers and staff. I support a broad range of academic subjects, arts, extracurricular activities, and travel that are consistent with a fiscally sound school. If elected, I will work to support teachers and students to meet and exceed academic requirements and provide diverse and engaging opportunities for our kids to thrive.